Skip to content
- New business registration of 27 food tourism and agritourism operators
- All 27 businesses successfully obtained grants of US10,000 to purchase equipment to support adaptation such as: solar systems, water tanks, farming equipment etc.
- Intensive training and support to develop the participants into ambassadors for Vanuatu’s local food and farming systems resulted in a significant cultural shift to supporting local industries and purchasing local within their islands
- Commitment from the Department of Education to send school groups to food tourism and agritourism experiences with the objective to restore pride in Vanuatu’s food and farming heritage amongst young Indigenous Ni Vanuatu
- Awareness conducted in all 6 provinces reaching over 5,000 people on the importance of supporting local industries and farmers by purchasing local, eating local and nutritional food, developing experiences around food and farming cultural heritage, the importance of protecting traditional knowledge and developing and conducting sustainable businesses in rural areas.
- The establishment of the Vanuatu Agritourism Association with representatives from all 6 provinces, endorsement of the constitution and drafting of criteria for membership based on the Global Sustainable Tourism Council (GSTC)
- Over 10,000 members on the Vanuatu Agritourism Association Facebook page
- Australian Broadcasting commission documentary on the FTA initiative which had over 15,000 views in the first week.
- Ongoing financial commitment to fund the FTA Initiative from the European Development Fund (EDF 11) and the New Zealand Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade (MFAT) for the next 3 years (taking on a further 30 Indigenous Ni Vanuatu entrepreneurs)
Meet key strategy and policy goals such as:
- The Vanuatu Sustainable Tourism Policy (2019-2030)
- The Vanuatu Sustainable Tourism Strategy (2021-2025)
- National Sustainable Development Plan (2016-2030)
- Vanuatu Climate Change and Disaster Risk Reduction Policy (2016-2030)
- The Pacific 2030 Sustainable Tourism Framework
- Sustainable Development Goals (SDG’s)